I don't know if there is some high level api but a lot of things can be done either via framebuffer ioctl or via changing stuff in /sys/dev/ices/platform/omapdss/ see

http://gitorious.org/linux-omap-dss2/linux/blobs/master/Documentation/arm/OMAP/DSS

Having full PAL or NTSC with no translation/scaling would be good both for games and video playback too.

So far I have only succeeded to change the default 800x480 -> TV scaling to be a bit better so it is no longer fuzzy due to extra downscaling. On my TV I can get exactly 480 lines visible in PAL mode which makes reading text much better.
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=461660#post461660

For NTSC output (640x480) it would be enough to render to part of the screen and set the size and offset accordingly. For full PAL it would need resizing framebuffer to get more lines (ioctl?).

I wonder how OMAP3 display controller features (gfx,vid1,vid2 planes, scaling, mirroring, rotation, tv-out) are mapped to Xv and other X APIs.

Frantisek