> I tend to favour either using a filespec (a file which dbus-scripts deletes
> after the script has run) or using base64 (because there are probably
> convenient libraries in many scripting languages).

good ideas. I think I'd rather the filespec.

> Of course, this doesn't allow for more complex arrays and other complex types
> which dbus allows.

reinventing the wheel could be hard and dangerous so I was thinking
about something like yaml. On the plus side, it's easy to parse with
libraries. On the minus side, you need to have the library on n900.

> But, maybe, in those cases dbus-scripts is the wrong tool
> and it would be better to create a custom daemon to do whatever is required.

I really like the idea of dbus-scripts to handle all my dbus scripts.
I don't like the idea of having many daemons waiting for dbus signal.
But that could be my sysadmin past...