Simon Pickering wrote:

>> I'm currently using GStreamer to play mp3 files. I'm trying
>> to move all mp3 decoding to the DSP but I'm unable to find
>> any useful info on the matter.
>
> May I ask why you're trying to move mp3 decoding to the DSP? Are the mp3s
> the sound track/effects for a game, etc., so you want to have more CPU
> cycles to do useful work?

Yes, it's an emulator actually, and mp3 decoding is noticeably stealing CPU
cycles.

Simon Pickering wrote:

>> The only thing i got so far is this paragraph from the wiki:
>>
>> http://wiki.maemo.org/Documentation/Maemo_5_Developer_Guide/Ar
> chitecture/Multimedia_Domain#Audio_Codecs
>>
>> Most of the audio encoders and decoders are wrapped under the
>> OpenMAX IL interface [OMAX], which abstracts the codec
>> specific implementation (which in general can run on ARM or
>> DSP). Unless a different solution is needed (due e.g. to
>> sourcing problems, performance requirements or to fulfill
>> some specific use cases) all the audio codecs will be running
>> on the ARM side to simplify the audio architecture and to
>> avoid the additional latency and load over the data path due
>> to the routing of the audio data first to DSP and then back to ARM.
>>
>> So, obviuosly a different solution is needed but I coudn't
>> find any documentation whatsoever. :) Anyone can help here?
>
> Are there any existing OpenMAX mp3 decoders targetted at the TMS320c64x
> DSP?
> If not, it would probably not be too painful to port one (where pain is
> all
> relative, but at least this would be less painful than trying on the more
> constrained and 8bit-less c55 ;)

Thats what the wiki article I quoted seems to imply, but it's not very clear
and I couldn't find any further info. There's a multimedia framework diagram
suggesting that there are OpenMAX audio codecs that run in the DSP via
DSP-bridge, but not sure if this applies to maemo 5 and there's no info on
how to use them.