Oops, managed to not reply to the list so forwarding now.

Sorry to break the threading too.

Simon

-----Original Message-----
From: Simon Pickering [mailto:s.g.picker...@bath.ac.uk]
Sent: 11 April 2010 00:25
To: 'Javier S. Pedro'
Subject: RE: GStreamer, mp3 playback and the DSP

> > I imagine/hope the N900 + DSP bridge setup is better, but I really
> > don't know. Does anyone know? Could a Nokian tell us about the
> > possibility of direct audio output from the DSP and how
> efficient the
> > data passing is in the absence of direct audio output?
>
> I am not an authority here either, but remember that audio to the
> speakers should pass through PulseAudio's HP filter, or else they
> might be damaged.
> (http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=36555). So I guess the
> question is indeed the latter one :)

Well an HP filter could also be implemented on the DSP (either currently or
theoretically) so direct output is not necessarily out of the question,
though I imagine my postulated test DSP audio codec would realistically be
removed to save space before shipping as PulseAudio is used.

But perhaps it might now be possible to add an audio codec driver without
needing to recompile the entire DSP kernel (not having looked at how the
linking is performed for "DSP tasks" nowadays)... Does anyone know off the
top of their heads?

Cheers,

Simon