> Doesn't the userland carry some sort of process monitoring, killing
> malignant processes ? If not, we should develop something like this
> for MeeGo.

It's pretty hard to find out what's eating the battery on N900. First
you have decide that the battery is being consumed too fast. The default
charge meter occasionally realizes it's very wrong, and rapidly
readjusts itself, giving potential misreadings there. bq27200 certainly
helps there, though there's no "production quality" software available
to use it yet. Nokia Energy Profiler still shines with its absence ;)

After that, running powertop (oh, oops, removed from the firmware images
early on) is nice for finding processes that consume too much CPU /in
idle/. Normal top can only find processes that just eat too much CPU
alltogether.

If 3G internet connection is active, then it's a good idea to monitor it
for traffic. If there's traffic moving occasionally (one packet every
5-10 seconds seems to be enough to keep the power usage high enough to
die in 6 hours), tcpdump can help find out what kind of traffic is
moving and to where. Finding out what app is responsible almost needs
lsof or similar.

Then the driver bugs, wlan can often wedge itself into consuming
enormous amounts of power, /especially/ when it's /not/ used/active.
'ifconfig wlan0 down' often helps with the runaway wlan issue.

Personally the most common causes for runaway power consumption is when
someone tries to bruteforce my ssh password on the phone (which
excercises the internet connection and also the cpu heavily), and the
wlan bug.