Till Harbaum / Lists wrote:
Hi,

Am Samstag 12 Juni 2010 schrieb Joerg Reisenweber:
It's rather moot, as this isn't a movie at 25fps, so an occasional image refresh, no matter how it's done, will take magnitudes less energy per time in average, than the backlight eats to display the image. When screen is dimmed (or the widget invisible/hidden/background) then of course all gfx workload should suspend, for obvious reasons

100% CPU load is bad no matter if this is for a 25fps movie or a 0.5fps 3d map
widget. Believe me, i have these discussions regarding maep. People _do_ care
for CPU load and battery consumption. And this is good.

I believe the point is not that battery life is unimportant, but that with the backlight on, the CPU using 200% of nominal for 2/25th of the time, this increases the total CPU power by 8%.

But - using numbers from http://wiki.maemo.org/N900_Hardware_Power_Consumption - with the screen on dim, and the GPS on, this 8% drops to 4% of total system load. - with the backlight on bright, it's only an increase of 2.5% or so.

The main point I was attempting to make was not this one anyway.

It was that while 3D may be possible on platforms similar to the n900, it is undesirable, even if it performs perfectly, if the widget may also be wanted to run on the increasing number of low end phones that may have limited or no 3D capability.

(Unless of course it can also do 2D optimally - but that seems like lots more code/work.)