I've tracked back my problem. Ubuntu is vague on whether or not a usb transfer has finished or not. I was copying the files to the disk, waiting for the progress dialog to finish, then unmounting the nokia using the gui. The disk icon would then disappear and I would unplug the device. However, they had not fully transferred.

The hard part was that I could play the currupt video files with mplayer on the desktop so I assumed nothing was wrong with the integrity of the files, I suppose mplayer is more robust in its playback.

When I transfer the files and unmount the nokia on the commandline, the unmount command doesn't exit till it is truely finished and this way is working for me now.

Thanks,
Hil

--
Hil