Igor Stoppa wrote:

If you have time and the knowledge, I would recommend to try to do your
fix and submit it as a patch that, without compromiising the original
functionality, improves it, for example adding an option to the power
menu.

Then it will be probably easier to have your request satisfied.

In the worst case i can assure you that you'll have at least one user
(me =) for the patch.

I forgot to mention - my ideal solution when implementing 770-type "cover-on"
functionality (bug #943) would *not* involve the Power button. Since the Power button is so small
and recessed - with the obvious intention of making it physically hard to press - it is no longer a
suitable button/interface candidate when attempting to rapidly put the N800 into a
"cover-on" state.

Therefore, any solution should *not* include the Power button and only consider
using a large, front-facing hardware button that is easy to press when in a
hurry. Think of using the 770 right up until your bus or train pulls in, you
can get up at the last second and slip on the 770 cover safe in the knowledge
the device will be put into stand-by. Now, with the N800, you have to hunt
around for a tiny Power button then press another button to select a menu
option (which still doesn't disable wireless/BT!).

I don't know, but whoever doesn't think there is now a major usability issue
with the N800 compared to the 770 either doesn't use public transport very
often, or has never used a 770!

:)