Michael Wiktowy wrote:
> On 2/6/07, Zoran Kolic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> On Monday 05 February 2007 22:28, Mike Klein wrote:
>> > 3rd worst problem is no 3G/cellular capability built-in.
>> Also my wash machine lacks it. I cannot sleep for that reason.
>
> Sarcasm aside, Zoran has a very good point. Putting cellular
> capability on the IT would be as appropriate as putting it on a
> washing machine. While it would be great to be able to talk to someone
> while doing laundry, it is not really the purpose of the machine.

Sarcasm aside?!?...and you back up the washing machine quote?? Sigh...

I'll bet you $100 american  that it comes to the N800...prob' by next
year. Openmoko and other open source linux phones are arriving...
> I wouldn't have bought a 770 or a N800 if it had a GSM/3G/Super-duper
> next-gen phone built in.

You might not but I think many would. My ipaq 4700 cost $650 and they
flew out the door. Zero cellular.

N800 + cellular = $500...a deal to me.
> Reasons:
> - It would add $100 to the cost
> - It would be a purchase that keeps on costing a monthly fee and cost
> even more when using it traveling
So does your phone. Swap the sim from your phone to your N800....done.
> - I already have a bare-bones cell phone that makes calls just fine
> ... most people have
Bare bones cell phones don't generally have BT. Addnly verizon phones
have crippled BT.
> - It would tie it to region/plan that would be difficult to transfer
> out of
> - It would tie it to some specific technology that doesn't have the
> longevity/compatibility of wifi/BT
> - It would consume a great deal more power

Unlike perhaps many on forums...battery life isn't the biggest deal for
me. I'm content to have 1 or 2 extra battery packs around. If I had a
FULLY loaded N800...I'd be content with 2 hour battery life. Can plug
into my car for charging or use the packs.

I'm rarely climbing the himalayas and without power sources.