On Tuesday 10 July 2007 20:34:50 Christopher Marshall wrote:
> I am a long time linux user and just got my hands on my n800.
>
> How do I get to a command line?
>
> I put the n800 in red pill mode.  I can see that I have busy-box installed
> already but I don't see how to get to it.
>
> I attempted to install bash but I get a message that there is an
> application conflict.
>
> Chris Marshall

Chris  Easy route.. (for me at least and most likely you too)

go to maemo.lancode.de (not my site) with the n800 browser.

navigate to the binary's directory and click on         sources.list-0.1-1.deb
choose open when the window pops up and yes (ok) when it asks if you want to
install it.

click on the top bar, or press the menu key, while the application manager is
open  choose tools -> Refresh application List

Once it does the equivalent of apt-get update,  choose browse installable
applications.  Then click on the binoculars at the bottom (search) and search
for xterm.  click on it and say yes(ok) to install xterm (It will show up in
your extras section of the menu.

Now to gain root do the search again for openssh .... install that.  Once
finished open xterm and do

ssh [EMAIL PROTECTED]   passwd rootme

of course once you login change the root password and give the user named user
a password as well.  (so you can scp things from another box to your n800)

I also add this line to the bottom of /etc/sudoers

user ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL

this give the user user cart blanche to run anything under the sudo command on
my n800.  This way you don't have to ssh to yourself as root.  Finally I
edit /etc/ssh/sshd_config so that remote root login via ssh is verboten.

James