On Nov 20, 2007 10:40 PM, Peter Flynn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

[how to know what DVD title to rip]

> > As Brad Midgley says, lsdvd and dvdinfo are your best bets. These
> > should tell you the titles on the disc.
>
> Both of these are broken in Ubuntu Gutsy, unfortunately.
>
> $ lsdvd
>
> *** libdvdread: CHECK_VALUE failed in ifo_read.c:1539 ***
> *** for info_length % sizeof(cell_adr_t) == 0 ***

Googling for this error turned up this, hopefully it'll help:

>  > *Usually* the main feature is title 1, so you can do:
> >
> >     tablet-encode -p best dvd://1 myfilm.avi
>
> "Failed to get movie info."

This is probably related to your DVD issues also affecting lsdvd and dvdinfo.

> What's dvd://? I've never seen that method of a URI before. Inserting a
> DVD in my Inspiron 4150 automounts it as /media/cdrom0

dvd://<title> is mplayer/mencoder's syntax for accessing DVDs. Some
more information on the complete syntax is available here:

    http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/dvd.html

> Will it then encode just one VOB file, or will it somehow know that the
> movie is split across eight or nine of them?

VOB files are just containers. You don't need to deal with them
directly. Background info available here:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f72/tutorial-dvd-video-file-structure-77646/#post476300

> > I may well, at some point, do a Gtk+ GUI which shows DVD thumbnails
> > and chapter information to make this easier; but if anyone got there
> > before me, I'd be *very* happy to give them svn access to
> > mediautils.garage.maemo.org.
>
> Better, given that there is usually only one movie per DVD, add an
> option that says table-encode -p whatever -fromdvd myfilm.avi

Possibly. This'd introduce a dependency on lsdvd to find the largest
title, but it's certainly doable. I'll add it to the TODO list.

> If you're doing this from a DVD, which I assume is by far and away the
> most common scenario, is it possible to make tablet-encode work out
> what file to start at?

Personally, I use the DVD ripping less than I use it for re-encoding
videos I've already got. I think the best way, TBH, would be to allow
a syntax like:

    tablet-encode dvd:// myfilm.avi
or tablet-encode /media/cdrom0 myfilm.avi
or tablet-encode /dev/dvd myfilm.avi

...and have it a) detect it as a DVD, b) call lsdvd to find the
longest track and generate an appropriate URL of the form
dvd://<track>.

Cheers,

Andrew

--