On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 21:55:59 +0300, Marius Gedminas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 12:16:27PM -0600, Mark wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 11:57 AM, Marius Gedminas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> > (Changing the subject because of topic drift)
>> >
>> > The new 1.1.0j-7 version works.  Well, it says "No maps visible within
>> > 3.4 Mi of $COORDS" and shows a blank screen with a bunch of nice
>> > buttons, but it doesn't crash.
>> >
>> > Marius Gedminas
>>
>> That's my problem with it. The app itself seems to work fine, but I
>> can't find a way to load any maps to it other than the extremely dated
>> version that it finds.

try using getmaps - that's what roadmap for maemo uses to get the OSM maps
- you should be able to use the coordinates from the control panel cache
and bound it within a bounding box.

> I can get maps (don't know how up-to-date) of some unfamiliar part of
> the US, half a world away from where I am.  Of course, I don't have a
> GPS fix indoors.  OTOH the control panel GPS dialog shows me my last
> known location correctly.
>
> My coworker is currently trying 1.1.0j-7 on Chinook on his N800 and is
> having trouble getting the maps to download.
which maps? (the OSM maps with 'getmaps' or the rdm maps?)

I have had trouble getting OSM maps to download while on my mobile 3g/edge
connection.

AFAIK, this is an OSM server that is not really intended to serve large
quantities of users, being used in a test capacity (the vector data
download is fairly new to OSM) - it may not be able to handle the load it
is currently seeing. (from a thread I read on ITT)

I tend to not use the OSM maps on a day-to-day basis, although I have
played with them previously.  I will be using them exclusively in an
upcoming trip to portland oregon (OSM has the light rail system well
documented) towards the end of july.

I've been away from email for a few hours - sorry I didn't back to you
earlier, but it sounds like the new version fixes the out-of-mem issue
anyway.