Mark wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 9:11 PM, Joshua Layne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Mark wrote:

>>> That's not very user-friendly: if you want maps for someplace you've
>>> never been, you have to look up the coordinates first, then hope you
>>> get all the areas you need. That actually goes for your home area as
>>> well, and you'll have to make multiple downloads to get the the
>>> relevant areas without too much of what you don't need.
>>>

>> I agree, but there is also a 'download current view' option - just doesn't
>> work so well if you don't have a good 'current view' - which is what I was
>> responding to Marius about (he was in a building with no GPS fix).  I would
>> love to see it get to the point where you can set an autodownload flag
>> (similar to maemo mapper) and just have it automagically get maps (I usually
>> have a tethered connection on the road), but it is progressing...
>>

> This is fine if you have an Internet connection, but useless if you
> don't. Offline maps are *always* more reliable than online. Even if
> you have a working Internet connection, there are times when servers
> are down, traffic is high and you can't connect, etc., etc...

I agree, personally I would prefer to not _have to_ download maps, but I
like the option of having local copies.
> I don't have a tethered connection at all (and am unlikely to ever get
> one unless the prices come down drastically), so auto-downloading is
> useless for me except for pre-downloading areas/routes by panning
> around manually. I do that in Maemo-Mapper, but it's time-consuming
> and painful for large areas.
>

>>> Wishful thinking: it would be great if there was some way to download
>>> maps by city, region (state, province, etc) or country rather than
>>> hard bounding boxes. Very few cities are perfect circles or squares.
>>> :-) I imagine that's up to OSM, though, and they would probably have
>>> to revamp the I/O mechanism & specs to deal with it.
>>>

>> You can download county-by-county for the US, but the maps are not based on
>> OSM, rather on the census data.
>>
>>> Although I would personally like to be able to download the "world"
>>> package and have everything accessible at once. I don't know if
>>> there's any way to load that into Roadmap...
>>>

>> roadmap doesn't load much more than what it needs into memory - if you
>> zoomed out to view the world (not sure that has ever been successful in
>> roadmap :P) then it could load all of it - it would just be discarding 99%
>> of the information at that point (declutter)
>>

> There's a huge difference between "loading into memory" and having
> offline data available on disk. Very few apps (and no mapping apps
> that I know of) load all their data into memory at once. The point is
> that by having the whole database available offline at once, whether
> or not you have an Internet connection at that critical unforseen
> moment when you need that crucial bit of data is irrelevant.

I misunderstood your question.  See below, but yes - you can have maps
of the entire world on disk, the problem is finding sources of free map
data - many jurisdictions do not supply it.  OSM map support does not
_yet_ include (to my knowledge and I may very well be wrong here)
support for pre-building and indexing.
> The situation where that is really important is in searching for
> locations and/or routing to areas you haven't been before and there
> isn't and probably won't be for the foreseeable future any Internet
> access at all. For example, large national parks (especially
> mountainous ones) or large, sparsely-populated and largely untraveled
> areas.

This has not yet (to the best of my knowledge) been addressed for OSM,
but for native-built maps (based on various data source throughout the
world: Digital Charts of the World, some canadian sources, and the US
census) there is an index that is maintained for all maps - actually,
the index can be more complete than the maps (although it doesn't help a
whole lot if you don't have the maps where it finds the address :P)

> I would be interested in your config, and what exactly it does for
> you, but "the map issues" are pretty much a deal-killer for a mapping
> program...

my only big complaint on the maps (living in the US) is that the Tiger
data is still inaccurate for some counties (mine in that list) and that
they don't record or support turn or other restrictions (one-way), so it
is difficult to add intelligent routing to (can be done through adding
the metadata, but...)

OSM support is still fairly recent and there are some bugs to be worked
out.  Tiger map support (for the line file format) is well established.
> One thing that annoys me is that all of the mapping apps for the
> tablet that I've tried use a teensy font for the speed, elevation,
> etc. Some allow you to change the font size, but that applies to
> everything, and generally screws up the display completely if you try
> a size that's reasonably viewable for the data I mentioned. Does your
> config address that?

My config doesn't touch the menu font sizes, but I don't use the menus
while driving - that's what the Screen Objects are for.  (note that
address lookup is not covered by this... yet) - I also got rid of the
menubar entirely because it was too cluttered for me and took up real
estate.
Sprites (and screenobjects are sprites) have a separate scaling factor
in roadmap preferences.  I personally like a scaling factor of 150 (150%)

http://www.willowisp.net/files/rm4maemo.png

This requires tweaking the user copy of preferences, screenobjects and
sprites file somewhat.

HTH,
josh