Mark wrote:
> The bottom line is that there are some serious problems in the way
> that Nokia has and continues to approach the ITs and support for
> them. Until they not only acknowledge that but address it
> realistically, they are going to have to deal with the occasional
> "attack". Get used to it! If we customers are going to have to live
> with the everpresent disappointment of devices that aren't coming
> anywhere near to living up to their hype or potential, then you're
> going to have to get used to the occasional complaint or rant. That's
> how it works.

What saddens me about this is that we have seen it all before in the
Sharp Zaurus field and no-one (not vendors, developers, supporters, nor
users) seems to have learned from history.

Nokia have behaved infinitely more responsibly than Sharp ever did, but
the arguments over FOSS or non-FOSS, broken repos, and selection of
software are almost identical.

These things upset people, very clearly, but we live in an imperfect
world, and the best thing to do is try and maintain a dialogue at all
times. No-one is trying to breach Nokia's business-plan security, just
as no-one is trying to force FOSS champions to forsake their principles,
but dialogue means providing information -- both ways.

I'm just a user. I can't fix bugs or contribute upgrades. My N800 has
given (and continues to give) excellent service, and maybe one day I'll
be able to afford an N810 or whatever replaces it, but in the meantime,
it would be nice if we could avoid repeating history.

///Peter