Mark wrote:
> On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 2:03 PM, lakestevensdental
> <lakestevensden...@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> Andrew Daviel wrote:

>>> At some point I was playing with OpenOffice server mode. It's broken
>>> right now, but the idea was if you wanted to view an office document on
>>> the tablet, and it was on the Web already, you passed the URL to a
>>> web service URL and it returned a PDF
>>>

>> Google Docs lets you look at AND play AND save OpenOffice files while
>> online.  You just need a free google account and internet access to make
>> it work, assuming the tablet's Firefox can handle Google Docs.
>>

> ...provided it's a *very* basic document with almost nothing in the
> way of special features like formatted sections, tables, images, and
> other imbedded stuff. I've had zero luck with Google Docs, even on my
> desktop. If you *create* the documents with Google Docs, you're fine,
> but trying to view and work with documents created with Word or OOo is
> an exercise in futility & frustration.

I've NEVER had any trouble dealing with Google Docs, but then the most
complex thing I've typically got might be a table or two in a couple
page document.

 So it's probably valid to say if you've got simple stuff, Google Docs
probably will work fine.  If you've got complex heavy formatted docs
with various imbeds that push OpenOffice on a typical desktop to the
limit, it probably won't work for Google Docs.  No surprise there.  Most
docs for most folks are probably of the simple variety, so go ahead and
try it rather than follow the blanket recommendation of someone who
needs don't appear to be simple.  If it works, fine, you can move on to
other tasks.

 Also, like everything, Google Docs is in constant evolution and subject
to frequent upgrading process.  What might not have worked a year or
month ago, might work fine now.