Le 2010-10-06 20:02, vfmBOFH a écrit :

2010/10/7 Marc Paré <m...@marcpare.com
<mailto:m...@marcpare.com>>

    Le 2010-10-06 17:10, vfmBOFH a écrit :

        2010/10/1 atilla ontas
        <tarakbu...@gmail.com
        <mailto:tarakbu...@gmail.com>
        <mailto:tarakbu...@gmail.com
        <mailto:tarakbu...@gmail.com>>>

            I'm just wondering if we follow Mandriva's release cycle
        model. Every
            6th months a release or one year and one release. I think we
        should
            make one release in one year. By doing so devs and
        translators won't
            be in rush in every 6 months. Also there are major changes like
            systemd/upstart; those system related things will be more
        mature in a
            year to use. It makes the distro more stable and decraese
        mirrors
            space waste.

            One more thing. Do we follow Mandriva's release naming
        scheme? I.e. do
            we call our first release 2011.x ? I don't like this naming
        scheme and
            suggesting using number of release as naming like Mageia 1.0
        or using
            code names.

            What's your opinion?

        Hi all.

        At this time, there is a survey asking to the blogdrake's community
          what kind of release cycle they prefer. This survey will be active
        until the weekend and I think this could be an acceptable look about
        community preferences.

        We must keep on mind we're creating a user-oriented distro, so
        we must
        be stay in touch about their preferences.

        Cheers

    Where is the survey?

    Marc

Sorry, the word is "poll" :P

Blogdrake is the mandriva's oficial spanish-spoken forum.

You can find the poll at the frontpage: http://blogdrake.net

IMHO, I think such a poll could be mis-leading as it supposes that users will have experienced "rolling releases", "light rolling release", "LTS" and the Mandriva "update/upgrade". If enough people vote, the vote will show the Mandriva way as being preferred as, again, most users do not have that much experience in different upgrade/update methods. It will be a closer result if fewer people take part in it.

I think the distro dev's would be in a better position to explain the pro's and con's of these different types and explain to we users the amount of work/development time needed to maintain these.

Marc