On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 06:02:38PM +0300, Anssi Hannula wrote:
== Do we want a separated core repository?

No separated core: Fedora, Debian, Opensuse
Separated core: Mandriva (main), Ubuntu (main), Arch (Core)

i think so, main+contrib is about 20G and some stuff is not really
maintained.

== What will be officially supported?

- And what does that mean?
being a non profit, everything that shall be officially supported must
have a sponsor. orphans are not supportable.

== How are the sections named? :)

I think I'm in favor of renaming 'contrib' to 'extra'.
sounds nice to me

== Where do redistributable firmware go (Radeon graphics, Intel WLAN, TG3 ethernet, etc)?

To main repository: Arch, Fedora, Opensuse, Ubuntu
To the non-free repository: Debian
Case-by-case arbitrary decision: Mandriva

If we want to separate non-free firmware à la Debian, I guess one option would be a separate firmware repository... or we could make free-only installation an expert option. Certainly we want tg3 ethernet and radeon to work on a standard installation, and for this we really need the firmware.

I'd probably prefer to put them in main (as all non-Debian ones) but do some metapackage magic (or similar) to allow blacklisting them easily for those who want to.
I'm in favor of some kind of separation, if it is by creating a firmware
repo or some packaging magik it is merely a technical question.

== Where do firmware without license go (DVB, V4L, etc)?

To unsupported non-free repository: Ubuntu (multiverse) [1],
To unsupported repository without binary packages: Arch (AUR)
Nowhere: Debian, Fedora, Opensuse, Mandriva

I guess for this one I'd prefer a helper draktool to handle/download these instead of shipping them ourselves.
this sounds a nice idea, or do something like the plf flash-player
package

== What about patents?

I agree with Olivier on this, mageia as an association should protect
itself from being sued in France, apart from that we should be actively
fighting patents ;)

== If we choose a separate core repository, should we do something regarding
  OOo and java?
(there are a million java packages with tight interdependencies, and due to OOo requiring some of those, we need to ship the whole web in main)

== Do we allow P2P file transfer software?

Yes: Arch, Debian, Fedora, Ubuntu
No, except torrents: Mandriva
Unknown, at least torrents allowed: Opensuse
if the software is free, yes
Ptp is not illegal anywere, transferring copyrighted materal without
authorization usually is.

== And gaming emulators?

again, if the software is free, yes

== And DVDCSS, etc?
Allowed: Arch
Not allowed: Debian, Fedora, Mandriva, Opensuse, Ubuntu

This should probably be 'no'.
I'd say yes, in europe it should fall under the interoperability case.

--
Luca Berra -- bl...@vodka.it