Jerome Quelin skrev 27.11.2010 19:11:
On 10/11/27 17:59 +0100, Maarten Vanraes wrote:
i agree, the less repositories the easier it'll be.

however, core is for all the "maintained" packages, extra is for the
unmaintained packages that build ok.

what is a "maintained" package? no maintainer, no commits since x
months, not buildable? what if we move to packages being maintained by
foo...@packages.mageia.org aliases?

if maintainer db says nomaintainer@ it belong in /extra/

what are the rules to move a package from extra to core, and vice-versa?
who can do it? will it be done automatically? will this imply a rebuild
for the package?

If a maintainer picks up maintainership of a package  in /extra/ it will
be rebuilt and moved to /core/ asap.

if a package in /core/ ends up nomaintainer@, then after a "grace period" (1-3 months ?) it will be moved to /extra/. and sometime before RC1 or so, any momaintainer@ package in /core/ will get moved to /extra/ as for a release the /core/ should only contain maintained packages.

what are the dependency rules? can a core package depend on an extra
package? or with a buildrequires?

No.
If you need to build against a package in /extra/, either pick up the maintainership of it, or try to get someone other to maintain it.
then it can get into /core/

and, more importantly: what is the advantage? that is, what does that
bring you, except more admin?

QA!
and enduser satisfaction.

Just take a look on many bugreports in MDV Bugzilla.
If the report is against a nomaintainer@ package, currently Triage pretty much only can state "thanks for your report, but since it has
no maintainer, nothing will probably happend" wich is not good answer
for a person that have taken the time to report a bug.

By having the /extra/ disabled by default, and a popup notifying the user if he enables it that the packages are "unmaintained" he knows
he's "on his own"

sorry, consider me not impressed by this idea. or maybe it's just that i
failed to see the benefits. please enlighten me.

--
Thomas