Renaud MICHEL skrev 28.11.2010 22:54:
On dimanche 28 novembre 2010 at 21:12, Thomas Backlund wrote :
So the mirror medias accordingly to all comments so far would be a
simple:

* core
    - enabled by default
    - mirrors must mirror this media to be listed as a mirror
    - only GPL stuff

I guess you meant free (as defined by FSF, or we can make our own
definition, like debian), we surely don't want to restrict ourself to GPL-
only stuff.

Yeah. I meant to change that.
I do mean free/libre as in FSF/OSI definition.

    - must be selfcontained

* nonfree
    - disabled by default, installer will ask to enable it if
      it detects hw that need driver/fw from here...
    - mirrors must mirror this media to be listed as a mirror
    - contains apps/drivers/firmware that are free to redistribute,
      but we dont have GPL source for
    - for example ati/nvidia drivers/firmware, Oracle Java, ...

* tainted
    - disabled by default
    - mirrors are free to not mirror this media
    - stuff we think we can redistribute, but that may have some
      patent issues or other restrictions in oter countries.

Merging "codecs" and "firmware" into "tainted" makes sense.

actually most firmware we have would end up in core or nonfree

So "games" and "extra" gets merged back into core (except for non-free games
of course), won't this make an enormous repos?

People seemed to dislike the games splitout, so I "merged" it again

I think it was better to have a separated games repos, as it will quickly
get big, and is likely to have frequent backports (as gamers generally want
to have the latest release).

Well, if we want to split out games, it needs atleast:
* games
* games_nonfree

Would it be possible to have a separate games sub-project, that won't freeze
to make releases with the rest of mageia?
Instead it would be an always updating repos which is compiled with the
latest stable release (or even the previous, if it is possible to have
packages that install correctly on both).
The project would only have a "testing" and "release" (or another name to
avoid confusion with other "release" repos which are frozen), this way you
could quickly have new versions of all the games, if they don't need
bleeding-edge libraries (I think they rarely does).

Interesting idea, but problem is that if the games are built against some newer system libs, they'll stop working on older releases...

--
Thomas