by *corbintech <https://forums.mageia.org/en/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=646>* ยป Jun 13th, '11, 22:12 I quit the ML because I was not doing it right (never used a list like that before).

So if I may, I will post here what somebody responded to me and write my response here.

   complete rolling release would put a QA strain on each of the
   levels. think
   about it, it's not only the current package being updated, but also the
   combinations with other packages. (AND also all the long time supported
   versions)

   This would mean that for each package being release, it'll have to
   work with
   the current set of other packages, but also with the packages you'll
   be doing
   next.

   if you have this constant level of QA, you need alot of resources
   (which we
   don't have in QA), and as an extra result, you'll not have the same
   level of
   QA you could have, when you're doing a release.

   it's much easier (as devs) to just choose a subset of packages, and
   test those
   out.

   if you have X QA-devs, and you have 1 subset of versions of
   packages, you can
   test alot more than if you have several versions of several packages
   that need
   to work all with each other in almost any combinations...

   not to mention that you need an extra step with QA to put a "group" of
   packages from one level to the next...

   sorry, but with our current resources, i vote no. i want current
   resources to
   be used much more efficiently than with a rolling release.

Why do we keep acting like there is no other way to pool resources? I have never helped develop in any way, teach me something and I'll lend a hand... Others may do the same.. ASK!

QA comes from testing... Test... Test... And test more... To make sure what you have works and works well. Let's change up my idea a bit and satisfy everyone... Let's compromise...

How about Cooker (or whatever you call) rolls to rolling (can be very stable???!!!) with release cycle releases based on a snapshot of either of the rolling models and supported for X amount of time? This could make those whom want a rolling release model happy and those whom want a release cycle.

Would this be hard? I don't really think so as development is already based on a rolling model (cooker or whatever), all that will have to be done is packages roll down the line. I seen in the start of all these talks you wanted to support 3 structures of systems... Here they are!

What about this? Get the community involved!