Samuel Verschelde a écrit :

Le mardi 14 juin 2011 20:00:39, Anne nicolas a écrit :
2011/6/14 Wolfgang Bornath<molc...@googlemail.com>

2011/6/14 Anne nicolas<enn...@mageia.org>:
I guess because of Mandriva policy. We did provide backports but it was
explicitely said to be unsupported. "Use it at your own risks"
We may have to rewrite  this and make things clear

Right. Define a (somewhat lower) level of support -- but enough to assure most users that backports can be reliable.
Mandriva was defining _corporate_ support, which doesn't apply in a community
volonteer-based distro.

Do you mean, just telling people that it is no risk or do you mean a
change which lessens the risk?

not at all

As Michael wrote earlier in this thread, if there was the risk to
break the system by low quality of backports then the quality has to
be improved (not his own words but that's how I understood it).

exactly what I had in mind. Having backports can allow choice between
"the last version of" and "the stable version with which I'm happy
  with". But indeed we need more quality in backport rpms that is policy and
tests.

Few words could make me more happy about the potential future status of our
backports. And if backports have a bad reputation among our users, maybe we
should rename updates to "maintenance updates" and backports to "feature
updates" ?

Samuel

Not a bad idea -- even if only as a subtitle :)

--
André