The older version of phpmailer in 15.10_STABLE and 15.04_STABLE doesn't
validate email addresses tightly enough. Since this is only a medium-
priority bug, I'm going to kill the backport to those versions.

Anyone who's interested in fixing this for 15.04 or 15.10 yourself, you
could probably start with my 15.04 patch, which centralizes all the
email validation into the "sanitize_email()" function in
htdocs/lib/mahar.php. Then just change the implementation of
sanitize_email() to something that works for you, perhaps a regex or
FILTER_VALIDATE_EMAIL.

** Changed in: mahara/15.04

** Changed in: mahara/15.10

  Email validation rejects top-level domains longer than 4 characters

Status in Mahara:
  Fix Committed
Status in Mahara 15.04 series:
  Won't Fix
Status in Mahara 15.10 series:
  Won't Fix
Status in Mahara 16.04 series:
  In Progress
Status in Mahara 16.10 series:
  Fix Committed

Bug description:
  This one has existed since 2006, but only become an issue with the
  opening up of TLDs over the past few years.
  (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Internet_top-level_domains)

  Currently the email validation in pieform limits the TLD to between 2-4
characters (see pieform_rule_email() in
htdocs/lib/pieforms/pieform/rules/email.php.)
  That means people from .horse, for example, can't register. Changing the
regex fixed my immediate problem, haven't tested how the other email validation
points react. They use FILTER_VALIDATE_EMAIL and PHPMailer::ValidateAddress, so
might be better.