I've received some more information via email.

Shane's colleague did a quick lookup on IMS global LTI tool compare:
https://www.imsglobal.org/toolcompare.html

It looks like the parameter in question (lis_course_offering_sourcedid)
is not defined in Mahara LTI Optional Params list.

I had a dig through the code because I knew that we had written code
that would ignore certain parameters that Mahara doesn't know / need to
know that Canvas was sending through. It turns out that it was
parameters prefixed with "custom", which is not the case here. Thus, an
exception is thrown as expected because it does need to be dealt with.

It would be worthwhile checking again if we can / should cast the net
wider so as not only to ignore "custom" but others as well that could
come through and let admins know when the site is not in production mode
as was done at
https://git.mahara.org/mahara/mahara/commit/e120d8fd2a6c20b8ae510d1e16deb113dbd6f85d
so they can decide whether further action needs to be taken or if the
parameter can be ignored without any issue.

** Changed in: mahara

** Changed in: mahara

  LTI: Additional Canvas parameter is not ignored

Status in Mahara:
  Confirmed

Bug description:
  Hi Team,
  At UC we are using:
  Mahara 17.10
  LMS is Canvas

  We are trying to configure LTI, which we can do, however the LTI connection
from Mahara to Canvas fails because Canvas is passing the SSID (Course ID)
which Mahara doesn't care about and so dumps the connection attempt. I have
attached a screen shot on an email as it keeps all the elements of the email
together which has screenshots and text which is not a combination supported by
this bug submission text editor.
  Cheers,
  Shane.