On Aug 4, 2008, at 9:32 PM, Sean Owen wrote:

I don't know, I have not found a great solution for this. I don't use
Maven myself but am not against learning how to use it effectively.
Part of that is sorting out how to keep it in sync with Ant build
scripts. We could delegate all building to Ant. Perhaps that's the
easiest way.

Anyone know enough about Maven to understand best practices? I assume
some does or else we wouldn't be bothering with it.

I used to use Maven a lot. I gave up on it. It does great at the easy stuff, like compile and test and the dependency stuff is cool, as is the pom that lays out meta about your project. It breaks down, IMO, when it comes to doing complex things where you need to use plugins, or string together plugins, etc. I also found it was buggy and you also have to pin down your plugin dependencies too and be just as careful about upgrading them as you do your own libraries. In the end, these were dealbreakers for me.

At any rate, I don't want to start a huge Maven discussion. I'd just like to see the poms in sync (which I broke) or we go the Lucene Java route and have ANT generate the poms, since the main thing people are probably going to want out of Maven is the repository stuff so they can use it w/ their Maven project.

-Grant