On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 6:37 PM, Jake Mannix <jake.man...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Why would the sparse representation be the only way to represent it
> on disk?  It's nearly twice as big as the dense form for dense vectors
> (ok, 50% bigger).

On disk (well, in any serialized form) you just have key-value,
key-value pairs in sequence, right? Access time is irrelevant, so this
representation is most space-efficient. Why's it bigger?

> Where do we actually use the VectorWritable.readVector() static
> method?

Looks like it's used in about 16 places across the code.

> If you stick to using VectorWritable as people use other writables
> (just instantiate, then read()), this doesn't come up, the static
> class instance isn't used...

Yah this would be the same thing, if the static fields went away.
Ergo, I think this method should just delegate to the constructor. Or
go away entirely. Thoughts?