On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 11:51 AM, Sean Owen <sro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 6:37 PM, Jake Mannix <jake.man...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Where do we actually use the VectorWritable.readVector() static
> > method?
>
> Looks like it's used in about 16 places across the code.

We should remove them, I think.  I'm pretty sure there's no reason for it.
 There
is some inefficiency we need do deal with, which Robin brought up before: we
keep
a big String of the class name, and it should just be a little one-byte
enum-like
value.

> Yah this would be the same thing, if the static fields went away.
> Ergo, I think this method should just delegate to the constructor. Or
> go away entirely. Thoughts?

+1 to go away entirely.  Statics are evil, as Ted says.  If they're not
needed,
they shouldn't be used.  They're only here because when I ripped Writable
out of Vector, I made "the minimal possible change that would work", and
left
some cruft behind.

  -jake