It would be far too much overhead at this stage to manage every change with
a patch. If in any reasonable doubt about a patch or whether someone would
object, yes open JIRA.

Otherwise I don't see the harm in leaving it to judgment. We get commit
notifications. Changes can be undone. We can tell people committing too
freely to let up a bit.

That's been my policy. Is that categorically un-Apache or a fine way of
operating?