I think that's a fine project indeed. It sounds even a little
ambitious for a GSoC project. Understanding, implementing, and
parallelizing this approach is not trivial. If you want to propose it,
sure, but scaling it back a little is probably OK too. As always it's
best to propose a simple project that you can complete, document and
test, rather than a big project you half-finish.