Minhash clustering is important for duplicate detection.  You can also
do simhash
clustering<http://simhash.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/paper/SimHashWithBib.pdf>which
might be simpler to implement.  I can imagine an implementation where
the map generates the simhash and emits multiple copies keyed on part of the
hash.  Near duplicates would thus be grouped together in the reduce where an
in-memory duplicate detection could be done.

Sean's intuitions about project size are generally better than mine, but if
you limit you are strict about not increasing scope, I think you could
succeed with this project.