I checked out a clean trunk and managed to get as far as step 6
without problems. 6 failed trying to pull the collections-codegen
plugin 0.4-SNAPSHOT from a repo. I'm not sure why the reactor is not
picking it up. Nevertheless, I was able to get past this by running a
separate mvn clean install to push the plugin to my local repo.

When all is said and done, I get a bunch of errors from
mahout-collections complaining about the @Overrides. Switching
compliance to 1.6 of course eliminates these.

The .checkstyle, .pmd and .ruleset files under each project cause svn
to show changes. We should set svn:ignore on these -- or should they
be checked in?

Without getting too specific it strikes me that some of the stuff that
PMD is complaning about should be downgraded from 'Error high' or
'Error' to some level of warning. For example it appears that all of
the modules have errors of some level based on the existing (default?)
settings.

FWIW, here's my environment:
mvn --version
Apache Maven 2.2.1 (r801777; 2009-08-06 15:16:01-0400)
Java version: 1.6.0_16
Java home: /u01/opt/jdk1.6.0_16/jre
OS name: "linux" version: "2.6.28-18-server" arch: "i386" Family: "unix"