On Apr 17, 2009, at 12:53 PM, Chris Nulk wrote:

It was just for the other "list of email addresses" options I was
curious about.  If they are defined by a backend database, am I
restricted to the same backend database as I am using for members list?
Or, can I use a different backend for each of the "list of email
addresses" options whether it be LDAP, MySQL, Postgresql, etc. or any
combination of the mix?

In thinking about this a bit more, for MM3, you might in fact be able to get away with just re-implementing the roster layer. It's rosters that tell mailing lists two important facts: 1) who gets to post to a mailing list and 2) who gets delivery of posted messages. Rosters are really just queries, they have no persistent storage themselves. So while I still think it would take some clever programming, it should be possible to keep user information in the RDBMS and provide for subscription information by LDAP.

Now, about an LDAP interface to MM3 (or possibly making the MM2 more
complete), is anyone interested in what ideas I have thought about? If
so, a new thread should probably be started.

Sure, I'd like to hear it because I think this will be an interesting use case.

-Barry