On 17 May 2014, at 04:08, John Levine <jo...@taugh.com> wrote:

> Everyone I know who's tried to do spam filtering by SMTP callbacks to
> verify sender addresses has stopped,

Not me.

> for the dual reasons that it
> doesn't work, and it's abusive.

It is helpful, we get almost no complaints. Complaints are usually resolved by
the fixing of the third party sender. NOREPLY addresses may be rejected, but
not usually until after DATA: at which point we’ve already dropped the callout
connection.

And, it’s not abusive if appropriate SPF checks are done first: obviously, you
don’t do the callout if you get an SPF fail. A callout with an SPF pass isn’t
abusive: if the domain sent me an email, then it should be able to handle a
callout.

If there’s no SPF record, then the domain isn’t protected: publishing SPF
records will protect against excessive callouts. For SPF neutral or softfail
results, a similar argument applies: the domain isn’t properly protected.

--
Ian Eiloart
Postmaster, University of Sussex