On 2016-01-21 1:47 AM, JFC Morfin wrote:
Hi!

I am a new comer on this list. I am an old cyberactivist and an
administrator of more than 100 mailman lists and I would need to operate
much more for a budled project trough a user/feature database. It means
a way (1) to set-up scores of same style mailing lists and (2) for a
person being a member of my directory to easiliy select the lists she
wants to attend or quit. My idea is to get it simple, non interfering
and robust by having an independent database used to generate an update
script on a cron basis and that scri^pt being run to create/update the
necessary mailman instances.

You could add this pretty easily in Mailman 3, which uses data structures that can handle that. Basically, take a look at the postorius "subscription based preferences" page under "my settings", and all you'd need to do is add a column that allowed people to choose to subscribe or unsubscribe. (you can right now turn mail delivery on/off and edit the other preferences, but not actually unsubscribe from that page.)

In Mailman 2, it's much harder, because the data structures are such that there's not really a concept of a user, so you'd have to fake it by going through each list, seeing if a given email address was in it, and collating all that information. If you look at the code that runs when you click "list my other subscriptions" in the user options page, and that would give you a good idea of how it can be done.

 Terri