Adam McGreggor writes:

 > Or could we meet user expectations (real users, not geeks), [and
 > allow glob syntax].

Definitely worth discussing, but my initial reaction is negative for
the reasons discussed below.

 > Simples:
 >     *@mail.ru
 >     *@*mail.ru
 >     ?????@mail.ru

Are those anchored?  At the beginning of string?  At end?  Is there
really a use case for "?"?  I don't see this as an obvious feature.
Globs are also too blunt for the use case, especially since bad actors
do deliberately use fine distinctions between well-known domains and
their own sinkholes of depravity when phishing.  Users are likely to
be lazy, using "*@*mail.ru" to catch both "badac...@mail.ru" and
"badac...@spamsource.mail.ru", trashing "nice...@goodmail.ru"'s posts
in the process.

 > Off the top of my head, the syntax would define if it's an absolute
 > address (f...@example.com) vs a regexp.

"f...@example.com" is unambiguous, but "foo+mail...@example.com" is
not.  That's a big trap for users, who surely know exactly what they
mean by that (and it's not foooooooooooomail...@example.com!)

In theory we could use globs as well (some of the modern VCSes permit
glob or regexp syntax), but it's not a serious data loss issue for a
VCS if a mistake is made.  You just run the add command again with -f,
or uncommit, or whatever.  Granted, a perverse enough user could fail
to add a file, commit, then overwrite the file, but this is much less
serious than the possibility that a particular user would end up as
collateral damage to a spam filter.

Steve