On Monday, July 21, 2003, at 10:19 PM, Kaja P. Christiansen wrote:

Richard Barrett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

For one of the lists with the problem, what is the value of the
'script_name:' variable in the list's htdig conf file; look in
$prefix/archives/private/<listname>/htdig/<listname>.conf

I would expect the following line in the fptex.conf file:

script_name: http://tug.org/mailman/mmsearch/fptex

There was no 'script_name:' in the fptex.conf file! I run a shell script to check all <listname>.conf files for the presence of 'script_name' and found that this variable was defined (correctly) for 5 lists only; it was missing in the other .conf files. Multiple search pages in these 5 lists work fine.

So, I defined 'script_name' (by hand), as you suggest above,
made a new search and the problem was gone. After that, I tried
the same procedure with 2 other lists (one old, the other created
recently) and again search pages started to work.

That is the strangest one I have yet come across. I cannot begin to guess what has selectively omitted lines from your per-list htdig conf files.

These files are actually created from the template file $prefix/templates/en/htdig_conf.txt

If that file has been corrupted then all per-list htdig conf files subsequently created would also be damaged.

If that looks to be the problem I suggest you go back to you MM build directory and compare the htdig_conf.txt template there. If that looks to be undamaged substitute that one into your MM install directory.

One thing you do not want is to have to keep editing the per list htdig conf files by hand.

Kaja