On Tuesday, July 22, 2003, at 01:12 PM, Kaja P. Christiansen wrote:

Richard Barrett writes:

These files are actually created from the template file
$prefix/templates/en/htdig_conf.txt

If that file has been corrupted then all per-list htdig conf files
subsequently created would also be damaged.

That file is OK. I wondered what the 5 lists with good htdig conf files might have in common and decided to compare list creation dates with the date of mailman upgrade (Jun 1): these 5 lists were created or recreated after the upgrade! I wrote before that

I tried
the same procedure with 2 other lists (one old, the other created
recently) and again search pages started to work.

and looked more closely now at this 'created recently' list: it was, actually, created *before* the upgrade.

I've upgraded mailman umpteen times and usually without any problems,
but it looks to me like the problem was caused by a glitch during
my installation of mailman/htdig under 2.1.2, in that older lists have
retained htdig conf files from 2.1.1 release. Does it sound right?

As I said, I have not come across this problem before with 2.1.2 or with earlier releases.

As long as your list searches are now working and the per-list htdig conf file for any new lists are created correctly I guess the history does not matter.

Thanks much for your help!

I am pleased the problem appears to have been sorted out for you.

Richard