Mark Sapiro wrote:
Brad Knowles wrote:

One of our list serve administrators is experiencing an issue with one of
her listserves.

If it's a Listserv(r) list, why are you posting here :)

(Listserv(r) is a registered trademark[1] owned by the developer of a
particular email list management product, and it shouldn't be used
generically.)
Yea, it is incorrect to use listserve but it is common amongst our users so
I have assimilated to use the same terminology :(   It is a Mailman list.

Here is her description of the issue.  She is sending
text to her listserve which is a moderated list.  She approves the
message but as a member of the list, the email is received with 3
attachments:  ATT00001.c,  ATT00002.htm, and ATT00003.c.  The
administrator has 2 other lists and when she sends text, she receives
them as text.  She would like email sent as text to be received as text.
The only time I've heard of anything like this is when there are different character sets being used in some of the headers or footers (sometimes space characters), thus causing the different parts of the message to be put in different MIME body parts (as described in FAQ 4.39 at <http://wiki.list.org/x/84A9>).

You could try deleting all list-specific headers and footers and re-creating them, this time making sure that you don't put in any non-ASCII characters. Or maybe you've got ASCII characters in there, but there are non-ASCII characters in the submitted message, such as accented characters in someone's name or signature?

Other than that, I have no idea how this kind of thing would happen.

The .htm extension on the middle "attachment" which I assume is the
message body indicates she is not sending a text/plain message but
rather a text/html message, and content filtering is not removing the
html part or converting it to plain text. The other "attachments" are
probably the msg_header and msg_footer as Brad suggests. The FAQ Brad
references is the relevant one. The difference between lists may be
that this is the only one that adds msg_header and msg_footer.
As Brad wrote, I found some non-ascii characters in the introduction description from the general options for the list so I removed them. I asked the list admin to send another message to the list. BTW, I asked the admin to add me as a member so I can
see what is happening.
I may not have this exactly right, but the only way to know for sure is
to see a raw message from the list or at least the content of the
three "attachments"
If this does not resolve the issue, I will add the attachments in my next email to
the group.

Thanks, Darren
ODU