Hi All:

Me:

 Solaris 10
 Postfix 2.4.6
 Mailman 2.1.12rc2
 Python 2.4.4
 postfix-to-mailman-2.1.py

I have: (2) domain names for the same host, of the form:

  namexxx.department.domain.tld (has an A and MX record)
  nameyyy.department.domain.tld (has a CNAME and MX record)

What I originally hoped for was to host some Mailman lists on my server and still have a handful of user accounts on the server be able to receive email directly. Both the lists and the local users would have the same email address after the @, like so:

     list...@namexxx.department.domain.tld
     list...@namexxx.department.domain.tld

     user...@namexxx.department.domain.tld
     user...@namexxx.department.domain.tld

After studying things for a while it seemed clear that maybe Mailman is not supposed to do that, and that I'd need to add a level to the domain name for Mailman to take over for it's lists, like this?

     list...@lists.namexxx.department.domain.tld
             ^^^^^
     user...@namexxx.department.domain.tld
     user...@namexxx.department.domain.tld

But...

..adding that additional level ('lists') puts me at five levels. I'm trying to keep things as simple looking as can for my users. So, I thought what I could do instead is create a second host name for Mailman to use, like this:

     list...@nameyyy.department.domain.tld
     list...@nameyyy.department.domain.tld

     user...@namexxx.department.domain.tld
     user...@namexxx.department.domain.tld

My 'pain' is coming from frustration and confusion trying to learn Postfix and Mailman well enough to figure out whether I can do any of this or not.

I've been mucking around in the configs of both and trying to follow examples and suggestions in the documentation and from information found by sifting through them Internets with Google ;)

Do any of you have a take on it you would be kind enough to share with me? Thanks very much, for any/all help or advice, comments, etc.

-John