I'm sorry, I missed the OP and can't at the moment check the archives...

On Aug 7, 2009, at 5:44 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

However, in this case, I was assuming that Mark simply took you at
your word that mailmanctl lives in /bin, not in something like
/usr/lib/mailman/bin (which is where it is on Debian; it is also
visible at /var/lib/mailman/bin).  My point was simply that normally
Mailman functions are invoked from CGI scripts, the MTA, or an init
script, so having the full path is not a burden.  None of the Mailman
servers I have access to have /bin/mailmanctl, so I believe it's
nonstandard (at the very least I would expect it to be in /sbin, more
likely /usr/sbin, and most likely, for the reasons mentioned, in none
of them :-).

The word "nonstandard" was not meant to be critical of your setup,
except as far as it makes our advice less accurate.

I can't check my Gentoo or Ubuntu machines right now, but on my own servers, I run Mailman from source anyway :).

But in any case, I do think mailmanctl should be in sbin or equivalent, though most people will probably use an init.d script to start and stop mailman.

It kind of sucks that there are so many other Mailman command line scripts, which is one reason why I've always put them in a separate Mailman specific bin directory. With MM3 though I intend to use a 'subcommand' approach so that there's only one 'mailman' command. Think things like 'mailman listmembers foo'. I'll probably keep mailmanctl separate though I haven't decided about that yet.

-Barry