In trying to get things like

   pta-bo...@one-domain.example

and

   pta-bo...@second-domain.example

to be distinct lists on a site that is hosting both of those domains, I attempted to install multiple instances of Mailman on the same host. That is advice that I saw somewhere on this list.

Unfortunately, it is still not working for me. From the web end of things it is actually working fine. Within the virtual domains in the Apache configuration file for each domain, I point to their respective (and distinct) mailman installations.

But I am still having problems separating these as far as Postfix is concerned.

For one mailman instance, I will have in

 /usr/local/mailman/vhosts/lists.wilson-pta.org/data/virtual-domains

   # STANZA START: pta-board
   # CREATED: Wed Aug 12 17:17:42 2009
   pta-bo...@lists.wilson-pta.org              pta-board
   pta-board-ad...@lists.wilson-pta.org        pta-board-admin
   pta-board-boun...@lists.wilson-pta.org      pta-board-bounces
   pta-board-conf...@lists.wilson-pta.org      pta-board-confirm
   pta-board-j...@lists.wilson-pta.org         pta-board-join

   etc.

And in

 /usr/local/mailman/data/virtual-domain

  # STANZA START: pta-board
  # CREATED: Fri Mar 30 14:20:25 2007
  pta-bo...@lists.shepard-families.org              pta-board
  pta-board-ad...@lists.shepard-families.org        pta-board-admin
  pta-board-boun...@lists.shepard-families.org      pta-board-bounces
  pta-board-conf...@lists.shepard-families.org      pta-board-confirm
  pta-board-j...@lists.shepard-families.org         pta-board-join

  etc.

The problem is that right hand side of those, something like

   pta-board-confirm

with no domain at all, should sometimes go to the alias defined in

 /usr/local/mailman/data/aliases

which says

pta-board-bounces: "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman bounces pta-board"

But at other times, it should get delivered to the alias specified in

 /usr/local/mailman/vhosts/lists.wilson-pta.org/data/aliases

which says

pta-board-confirm: "|/usr/local/mailman/vhosts/lists.wilson- pta.org/mail/mailman confirm pta-board"

Anyway, in my set up, it's always going to the first one first (which is listed earlier in postfix/main.cf)

Both these aliases files and both virtual-domains files are generated by Mailman. So I don't see where I have scope to fix things. I would like to know how people who have run multiple instances of mailman have managed to keep lists in different namespaces.

Cheers,

-j