On 08/26/09 09:40, Mark Sapiro wrote:
The OP says "the +tag format described in RFC3696 (http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3696) allows for this format." I don't know if RFC 3696 is the intended reference, but I see nothing in that RFC regarding the semantics of a local part containing a '+' (or a '-' which is sometimes used for the same purpose.

I see examples of the user+detail in RFC 3696, but like you I don't see any reference as to how it is to be interpreted, just that it is allowed.

Thus, I think it is ultimately up to the user to specify what other local parts are equivalent to that of the delivery address, and it is not up to Mailman to guess this.

I can see how you come to that understanding. (Further I don't have any problems with that understanding.)

The only thing that I see (and experience) is that it would be nice if Mailman did something (even if it was non-standard) to support user+detail format addresses. What that /something/ is or should be, I have no idea.

Note that Mailman 3 will make this much easier as it will have a single user record with the ability to specify multiple addresses.

I think this will fill the bill quite nicely.

Grant. . . .