So, I found a 10 year old post where Mark Sapiro described some of the reasons
why "Message discarded" with only a message id and no reason happens:

Examples are when nothing is left after content filtering, a post from
a moderated user when action is discard, a post from a non-member in
discard_these_nonmembers, a post from a non-member with generic action
discard, some cases of a text/html post when ARCHIVE_HTML_SANITIZER =
0 and a post matching a header_filter_rule with discard action.

I was wondering if there was a more complete list someplace?  Mostly because I
had this happen to one of my users 3 weeks ago, and I think that I've managed
to rule out everything that Mark wrote back then.

Thanks,
                                                                -p
--
Pat Hirayama