On 10/18/2017 11:50 AM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
This is the crux of our disagreement. The outbound message is still the original author's message, albeit slightly altered by subject prefixing, content filtering and/or other transformations to conform with list policies. I don't agree that it is a completely new message. I think it is still the original message with only technical and formatting changes.

RFC 6377 - DomainKeys Identified Mail (DKIM) and Mailing Lists, disagrees with you. (RFC 6377 is also currently known as BCP 167.)

ยง 3.2 calls this out specifically:

resending: A resending MLM (see Sections 5.2 and 5.3 of [EMAIL-ARCH]) is one that may make changes to a message. The output of such an MLM is considered to be a *new message*; *delivery of the original has been completed* prior to distribution of the reposted message. Such messages are often reformatted, such as with list-specific header fields or other properties, to facilitate discussion among list subscribers.

/The output of a resending MLM is/ *a new message*.

MLM Output: *MLM* (sending its reconstructed copy of the originating user's message) *is Author*; MLM's ADMD is Originator and Signer; the ADMD of each subscriber of the list is a Verifier; each subscriber is a Receiver.

*The resending MLM is the author* /of the new message/.

The dissection of the overall MLM operation into these two distinct phases allows the DKIM-specific issues with respect to MLMs to be isolated and handled in a logical way. The main issue is that the repackaging and reposting of a message by an MLM is actually the construction of a completely new message, and as such, the MLM is introducing new content into the email ecosystem, consuming the Author's copy of the message, and creating its own. When considered in this way, the dual role of the MLM and its ADMD becomes clear.

Since we have been talking about modifying more than /just/ the SMTP envelope, we are indeed talking about a resending MLM and not an alias MLM.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die