On 10/17/2017 04:28 PM, Dimitri Maziuk wrote:
Why? If this message doesn't match its signature, then it has been
altered in transit for sure. If were not signed, like when I post from
home (because I can't be arsed to set gpg up on winderz), then there's
no telling if it was or wasn't. One of those things is quite a bit not
like the other.

If I understand your question correctly....

DKIM is meant to cryptographically prove that a message is unaltered (*).

I think that DKIM is avoiding the possibility that a message could be incidentally modified in transit, i.e. encoding conversion, thus not maliciously modified. As such, DKIM does not penalize for broken signatures. Instead, DKIM rewards valid signatures.

I know it's a small nuanced distinction, but it is there.

* ROPEMAKER further complicates this throwing lots of wrenches in the works.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die