Well, it was worth a try. :-/

About 12 hours after I put that RE in place, I got another one from a different domain in '.icu'. It was held for moderation, not automatically discarded.

I have:
  8 email addresses in accept_these_nonmembers
  0 email addresses in hold_these_nonmembers
  0 email addresses in reject_these_nonmembers
  ^@.*\.icu$ in discard_these_nonmembers
  'Hold' for generic_nonmember_action
  'Yes' for forward_auto_discards
but it seemed to make no difference; the UCE was still held for moderation.

I'm going to try putting "from: .*@.*\.icu" in header_filter_rules and see if that makes any difference.

Any other ideas?

-Chip-