At Sat, 13 Feb 2021 23:00:20 +0900 "Stephen J. Turnbull"
<turnbull.stephen...@u.tsukuba.ac.jp> wrote:

> Alex Bellig writes:
>  > I am interested in this option as well. Here is a scenario:
>  > When people send a message to the group and don't sign their name,
>  > I want their name to be picked from the membership list and
>  > mentioned at the top of the body as From: <name of the member>
>  > It will follow with their message in the body of the email.
>
> This is not possible to do reliably in email due to the control of the
> relevant information by email authors.  If it's merely an issue of
> authors forgetting, then it could be done, but Mailman provides no
> such feature.
>
>  > So is there a variable that displays the name of the person and
>  > which template can we add it to.
>
> No.  Personalization is designed for the benefit of the *recipient*.
> So the variables that are available are the recipient's: their email
> address, their personal options page, the archive URL, and the like.
>
> A variable identifying the sender should be unnecessary with a
> typically configured list.  Normally, the person's name and email
> address are available as "From" in the email header.  All mail clients
> display this header field by default.  If they are at one of the

Actually, *some* mail clients don't display all of the From header, specificly
some smart phone clients only display the e-mail address and not the comment
-- I believe this is due to limited screen space. Often e-mail address can be
cryptic or otherwise uninformative. Oh, and with DMARC From munging, the
e-mail address on the from header will be the the list and not the original
sender.

> (obnoxious) commercial services that have restrictive DMARC policies,
> >From can be set to something like

> and Reply-To (normally hidden by most mail clients) to

> (where the reply-to some-list is optional, depending on whether
> reply_to_list is set in the list configuration).  This is a compromise
> that avoids triggering bounces from recipients and allows somewhat
> convenient reply-to-author.
>
> If you have set personalization to "full" or configured an "anonymous
> list", then From is set to the list.  But this is rarely desirable
> behavior unless you want to conceal the author's identity, or it's an
> announcement list where the list is the author in some sense, and the
> identity of the human "secretary" who composed the message is
> unimportant.  If you want help configuring your list(s) to show the
> original poster, we can provide that.
>
> Much as I hate to say it, if your users need this kind of feature, you
> should consider migrating to a web forum instead of a mailing list.
> Web forums are much more helpful in this way.  Mailing lists, and
> their developers, are biased to allowing (and requiring) their users
> to take care of these things themselves.
>
> Steve

Robert Heller             -- Cell: 413-658-7953 GV: 978-633-5364
hel...@deepsoft.com       -- Webhosting Services