On 3/10/21 9:28 AM, Bader, Robert (Bob) wrote:
> I see files in var/lib/mailman/archives/private/LISTNAME/attachments/.  I did
> some searching and found that :
>
> The stored attachments have been scrubbed from the 'plain' format
> digest. This happens whether or not anyone actually subscribes to the
> 'plain' format digest. The only way to avoid it with configuration
> settings is to set Digest options -> digestable to No (i.e. disable
> digests).
>
> Otherwise, you could set up a cron to periodically remove them, but
> then if you actually have 'plain' digest sebscribers, you'll break the
> links in their digests.
>

> Some of the lists that that files in attachments does not have archived
> turned on and no users do not have digest set.
>
> So if I under stand this these attachments are kept because under “digest
> options” “digestible is set to “on”. Is that correct? So even if no user have
> digest on , the list keeps attachments?
>

> So what is the best way to clear these files, can I just clear out the
> attachments directory?  If no users have digest set , then this will be un
> notable. But if user have digest on and it is set to PLAIN, then that could
> be an issue?

`Attachments` are removed from messages, stored aside in the lists
attachments directory and replaced by links as part of the process of
flattening the message to plain text by Mailman/Handlers/Scrubber.py.

This will happen to all messages if the list's Non-digest options ->
scrub_nondigest setting is Yes. Otherwise, it happens twice to each
message with such attachments that survive Content filtering. Once when
the message is prepared for archiving and once when the plain text
digest is prepared.

If the list isn't archived and no one receives digests, you still have
to set Digest options -> digestable to No to prevent preparation of a
plain text digest even though it won't be sent to any one.

Assuming the list isn't archived and there are no digests, it is safe to
clear out the attachments directory.

Also, see the thread at
<https://mail.python.org/archives/list/mailman-users@python.org/thread/ZFCS42BO3RIQTCLJKSH43J62Z7UCS6B2/>.