> Answering myself on #2, I did figure out that the two files should go
> to my
> templates/{language}/ as drop-in replacements. I have done that but
> accessing
> the archives of my list still do not bring the search box as shown
> here -
> https://lists.kictanet.or.ke/pipermail/kictanet/ - and I am thinking
> that
> there's something
> minor that I am still missing.

Once you've swapped in the new archtoc.html and archtocnombox.html
files you need to run bin/arch --wipe <LISTNAME>

The renewed archive will then have the search box.

If your archive is private you have to be logged as a member to use the
search. It won't allow you to search if you're logged in as an
administrator.

And you may first want to edit those new archtoc.html and
archtocnombox.html files. By default the search box is at the bottom of
the page. I think it's better at the top.