* Grant Taylor via Mailman-Users <mailman-users@python.org>:

> > * The mail is delivered twice (to an exchange server), in two SMTP
> > sessions, to the same user adress. I get two positive delivery
> > confirmations.
>
> This is what I would expect.

I just wnated to make this clear :)

> > * since the message-id is identical, exchange is performing duplicate
> > message elimination
>
> Okay.
>
> > Since the mails are in fact NOT identical (different Subject -- each
> > lists adds their own [foo] and [bar] prefix), I'd very much prefer a new
> > message-id for the distributed mails.
>
> Oh ... that's not where I thought this was going to end up.

Neither did I.

> I'd have to go back and read RFCs on what the underlying purpose of the
> Message-ID is and if using it's definition the messages are identical or if
> they should have different Message-IDs after leaving the mailing list.
>
> I can see it both ways.  The message is the same and not the same at the
> same time.

Yes, I agreee. That's why I wanted to discuss this. This could easily
be solved by MM moving the Message-Id: to Resent-Message-Id: (and
Postfix would the - if propery configured - add a new Message-Id

> > I'm sure I can hack something up in Postfix, but is there an easy way
> > (tm)?
>
> I'm sure there are things that can be done too.  My concern becomes what
> happens to threading when messing with the Message-ID?  Conditionally
> messing with the Message-ID is an entirely different problem.
>
> This will probably be an interesting thread to read.

:)

--
Ralf Hildebrandt
Charité - Universitätsmedizin Berlin