From: Odhiambo Washington <odhia...@gmail.com>
Sent: 19 November 2023 23:04
To: Francis Jayakanth <fran...@iisc.ac.in>
Cc: Mark Sapiro <m...@msapiro.net>; mailman-users@python.org
<mailman-users@python.org>
Subject: Re: [Mailman-Users] Re: Unable to post messages to a Mailman 2 List

External Email

On Sun, Nov 19, 2023 at 6:36 PM Francis Jayakanth via Mailman-Users
<mailman-users@python.org<mailto:mailman-users@python.org>> wrote:
Thank you for the reply and suggestions.

I thought the problem had something to do with Mailman and, therefore, posted a
message seeking help.

However, I have now discovered that the problem was not with Mailman but with
the domain name of the list. The list used the domain name
ncsi.iisc.ernet.in<http://ncsi.iisc.ernet.in>. The postings to the list were
made to lis-fo...@ncsi.iisc.ernet.in<mailto:lis-fo...@ncsi.iisc.ernet.in>,
which used the institution's email relay server to send the emails to the lis.
The network team has informed us that the service of the relay server has been
shut down. That explains why postings to the list are not reaching.

I now need to migrate the list to a new domain. Please let me know the steps
that should be followed to ensure a smooth transition and carry forward the
list's archive.

This might be useful:
https://wiki.list.org/DOC/4.70%20How%20do%20I%20change%20the%20name%20of%20%28rename%29%20a%20list%3F

Also, can we redirect messages posted to the old domain to the new one?

You can use the address rewriting facility of your MTA, but is that even
necessary if the old domain name is gone?

--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,